Saturday, October 1, 2011

Pumpkin Cheddar Muffins


This marks the 7th recipe for the Club: Baked online baking group.  We are making our way though Baked Explorations by Matt Lewis and Renato Poliafito.  The group started on July 1st and we are baking twice a month, on the 1st and 15th.  Every 2 weeks or so one participant chooses a recipe for the entire group to make and post about.   It's a great way to learn new things and learn from each others experiences with a particular recipe.  This week, Billie of Chocolate and Chakra was our hostess and she selected pumpkin cheddar muffins.

Pumpkin and cheddar cheese in a muffin?  


I have to admit I was skeptical.

I love pumpkin and I love cheddar...but together?  What I have learned is I really shouldn't knock a recipe until I try it.  This recipe surprised me.  Though this muffin technically falls into the savory category, it still has a slightly sweet component.  Kind of like cornbread is savory and sweet.  The pumpkin and cheddar are both very mild and the muffin has just a hint of fall flavor.  It has a nice soft and moist interior with a slightly chewy texture on the outside with the crisp bits of cheese.  And it pairs nicely with soup.


I made half the recipe and ended up with 6 muffins which was perfect for Hubby and me.  The muffins are best served warm.  You can pop them into a 200 degree oven while you are getting the rest of your meal together. 

Hubby and I both enjoyed the muffins, but it wasn't love at first sight.  I probably won't be making them again anytime soon.  There are too many other recipes out in the world that I want to try.  But I'm glad I now know how pumpkin and cheddar work together.  It's not such a crazy idea afterall.  Thanks to Billie for hosting this week.  If pumpkin cheddar muffins sound intriguing you can head over to Billie's blog to get the recipe.

To join our baking adventure head over to the Club: Baked site and get in touch with Karen.  The next recipe up on the roster is Sawdust Pie on October 15th. 

7 comments:

  1. Your photos of these are beautiful! I paired mine with soup too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can see this combo working, Looks awesome,
    Take care..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your muffins look so perfect!! These are perfect with soup.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice job Gloria. I actually ended up loving this muffin. It really surprised me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I made these a few weeks ago and I was definitely skeptical too. I wound up loving the taste, but mine were nowhere near as pretty as yours! I need to make them again and see if I can get better results in the appearance department before posting :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your photos are beautiful! I figured these would be good with soup....sounds yummy!

    ReplyDelete