Sunday, March 6, 2011

Sweet Melissa Sundays: Chocolate Pudding


Chocolate pudding baked in the oven?  Definitely a first for me.  Making pudding that didn't come from a box is also a first for me.  When I read through this week's Sweet Melissa Sundays recipe for chocolate pudding it sounded a lot like a pot de creme.  Melissa Murphy describes it as "so thick and creamy on your tongue, one of the richest desserts I have ever eaten--and one of the best."  Sounds like my kind of dessert.


I decided to half the recipe because hubby won't eat chocolate desserts.  But my friend was in town visiting from Chicago and she helped me make it and helped me eat it.  The half recipe ended up making 4 small ramekins of pudding.  The only modification I made to the recipe was to use 72% cacao chocolate.  To account for that I added a touch more sugar. 

The result?  I don't think it turned out quite the way it was supposed to.  First off, mine was not as silky and creamy as I was hoping.  I think I may have overcooked it because the texture of the top of the and outer edges was much more dense then the pudding at the bottom of the ramekin.


Will I make this again?  I'm torn.  I was really sold on Melissa Murphy's description of this dessert.  I might give it another shot after reading about the great success from my fellow SMS bakers.  In the meantime I have some other tasty chocolate creamy desserts I want to try out like the Triple Chocolate Pudding on Tracey's Culinary Adventures and the Chocolate Pot de Creme on A Cooking Life. 

Thanks to Leslie of Lethally Delicious for picking this week's recipe.  Pop over to her site for the recipe.  To see how other SMS bakers did with their pudding click here.

9 comments:

  1. Your pics are beautiful, love the chocolate shavings on top. Sorry it didn't come out like you had hoped - I'd say you should try it again because it was quite delicious! Since you only made half instead of the full recipe - did you adjust baking time? Maybe that's why it became overcooked and dense? Anyway it looks beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, it wasn't as silky as I wanted it to be either. Love the chocolate shavings on top!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stephanie, I did adjust the baking time since I had smaller ramekins and only half the recipe. But I guess I didn't ajust correctly. LOL. I am very tempted to try it again because of the good results other bakers had.

    ReplyDelete
  4. From the pictures, I can't tell anything's wrong with it. Looks like several others, Leslie included, had problems w/this recipe. You mentioned some choc pudding desserts you'd like to try... if you get a chance, try this one: http://hanaaskitchen.blogspot.com/2009/03/stovetop-double-chocolate-pudding.html. Smooth, creamy, and quick to make.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My pudding was a little thicker and tough on top and sides as well. I love how pretty you dressed your chocolate pudding cups. Chocolate shavings look like the perfect accent, YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your pudding looks extra good with the whipped cream and chocolate shavings. I enjoyed it, but wouldn't necessarily describe it as silky and creamy. TWD made pots-de-creme last week (and I sat out since I hadn't participated in SMS for a while and we were making chocolate pudding) and I saw a ton of great reviews for that recipe, so I think it will be the next one I try.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm with you on the texture issues for this one, though yours looks spectacular with the whipped cream. I can whole heartedly recommend the chocolate pots de creme. Thanks for baking with me this week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry it didn't turn out quite as well as you had hoped, but your photos are definitely great! I hate when you have that dilemma about a recipe - make it again to try and fix something or try a new one. I'm at that stalemate with a chocolate chip cookie recipe =)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I sat out this week since I'm not much of a pudding fan and Shane is a on diet of sorts, but it seems the reviews were pretty mixed on Melissa's pudding. That said, yours looks really good so I'd never have guessed you had trouble :) As for the pots de creme versus triple chocolate pudding - I'd say the pots de creme are somewhat lighter in texture (not calories) while the pudding was super rich. Both have their place :)

    ReplyDelete