Monday, February 18, 2013

Houston Style Green Salsa


Tomatillos are a funny little fruit.  They look like green tomatoes but come wrapped in a papery husk.  Though they look like tomatoes, they have a very tangy taste.  I guess I would describe the taste and texture as a hybrid of a tomato and a lime--heavy on the lime in terms of flavor and a lot like a tomato in terms of texture.  Tomatillos are the basis of many green salsas.  I find these days I am reaching for green salsa over traditional tomato based salsas.  When I came across this Houston style green salsa I knew I had to try it.


I discovered this green salsa through Secret Recipe Club.  This month I was connected with Karen's blog, Cinnamon Freud.  Isn't that a cool name for a blog?  Even more so because Karen is a "counseling psychology doctoral student who loves food, cooking, and baking."  Her blog was new to me and it was such a treat to browse all her delicious looking recipes.  Karen has a nice mix of sweet and savory offerings.  And for once in my life, I gravitated to the savory recipes.  Once I saw the green salsa, my recipe for this month was a done deal.


Hubby and I enjoyed this delicious salsa during Super Bowl, alongside homemade tortilla chips and carne asada.  I've never been to Houston so I don't know what their green salsa tastes like.  But according to Karen this is reminiscent of a salsa she ate many times at her favorite local restaurant.  I loved it.  It's got tang from the tomatillos and lime juice and a lush creaminess from the avocados. An awesome flavor combination.  I topped it with a little cotija cheese to bring a little saltiness to the mix. All in all it was a hit!

Enjoy! 

Houston Style Green Salsa
adapted from Cinnamon Freud (originally adapted from Homesick Texan via Foodie Bride)

4 medium to large tomatillos
1/2 onion finely chopped
1-2 jalapenos, seeds and ribs removed and finely chopped
3 small cloves garlic peeled and minced
1 teaspoon olive oil
2 small avocados, pits and skin removed
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
Cotija cheese for garnish (optional)

Bring a medium sauce pan of water to a boil (large enough to hold the tomatillos).  Remove husks from tomatillos and boil 5 minutes until softened.  Drain and set aside.  Once cooled chop into quarters.

In a small skillet heat olive oil and add onion and jalapeno and cook for about 5 minutes until soft.  Add garlic and cook for an additional minute.

Using a food processor or blender, blend tomatillos, onion, jalapeno, garlic and lime juice until smooth.  Add avocado and cilantro and blend again until desired consistency is reached.

Serve with homemade chips and garnish with cotija cheese.

23 comments:

  1. It's not easy to find tomatillos around us, but when we do, we'll be making this for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad it worked out for you! I am addicted to this salsa, and it's delicious. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks very good! Your pictures are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great pictures! This sounds delicious, I love tomatillos!

    ReplyDelete
  5. YUM! How about you come over right now and bring some. It looks sooo good with those chips. Love the tomatillos- very pretty and rustic looking. Your pics came out awesome, mama! This is going on the To-Do list. With homemade chips, you can't beat that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Being a native Houstonian, I was thrilled to come across this green sauce because it is a staple here! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never had tomatillos before. They certainly look fun, and this salsa sounds delicious. Great SRC choice!

    ReplyDelete
  8. We always have some of this salsa on hand! YUM! And gorgeous pics!

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh wow! This sounds YUM-O! I'm a fellow SRC member, group D

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks delicious--I'm all about salsa!! Definitely going on my must try list!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awesome.. another great salsa to try! My family loved your avocado cup salad salsa I made for this month's SRC, so I bet this would be another winner. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I wondered what it had in it to make it look creamy--never would have guessed avocados! Now that sounds GOOD!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've been on a salsa kick lately and this looks so good. Great description of tomatillos (and beautiful photos!)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've only used tomatillos once (to make enchiladas, I think) but they were tasty! I've actually never had green salsa in my life despite my love for Mexican food. The combination with the avocado sounds so delicious here :)

    Oh and ps - your homemade tortilla chips look amazing, I want a big bowl of them!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This sounds wonderful. I love green salsa, so I will have to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  16. My hubby loves green salsa and has tried to recreate a version he gets at his favorite taco joint. We will have to try this one, it sounds like it could be close...
    ~jamie

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love salsa AND guacamole - don't really see why this wouldn't be a perfect dip?!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Looks delicious! Great SRC choice! So loving your dip - need to pin!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. What an awesome looking salsa!! Great colour and texture.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love those flavors, though I usually leave my green salsa chunky. Great recipe to share on SRC.

    ReplyDelete
  21. the salsa looks delicious!! love the ingredients and your photo's are wonderful!
    Mary x

    ReplyDelete
  22. Green salsa really is the best--it's perfect with halibut tacos!!

    ReplyDelete