Monday, May 20, 2013

Fabio's Cheese Bomb Biscuits with Onion Bacon Butter



I had high hopes of posting before now.  Really, I did. I have a fun tea party post that I'm determined to share with you all before we hit fall!  And maybe even before summer officially arrives.

A whole month has passed since my last post.  And here we are again...It's Secret Recipe Club time!  Thank goodness for SRC because without it who knows how long would pass between posts.

This month I had the pleasure of being assigned the fun blog It's Yummy for My Tummy!  Mmmm.  That's a concept I can totally get behind.  The name comes from her daughter who often says, "Mommy, it's yummy to my tummy!"  Awww!  Heather's blog is all about sharing recipes with her friends and family and of course, all of us!  I found a number of yummy eats that I put on my possibility list.  For those of you who know me, you know my tummy very often guides me to the sweet side, but this time I kept coming back to these savory cheesy biscuits.  


This recipe is really easy to make.  15 minutes and you will have biscuits in the oven.  And if you are feeling indulgent you can whip up some green onion bacon butter while your biscuits are baking.  The biscuits are delicious and tender with a bit of crunch on the top from the cheese.  They are fantastic on their own, but a little green onion bacon butter really takes them over the top. 


I paired my biscuits with a creamy tomato basil bisque (sorry, no recipe for that...it's from Campbell's latest soup creations).   The parmesan cheese complemented the tomato soup perfectly.  I had to restrain myself from eating more than one.  I see a repeat of my soup and a cheese bomb biscuit for lunch tomorrow!

 
Enjoy!

Fabio's Cheese Bomb Biscuits and Onion Bacon Butter
Adapted from It's Yummy to My Tummy originally from Fabio Viviani

For the biscuits:
2 cups flour, sifted
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups grated Parmigiano Reggiano or Romano cheese, plus extra for sprinkling on top of biscuits
4 tablespoons (1/4 cup) shortening
1 1/4 cups half and half (or heavy cream--I used all heavy cream), plus extra for brushing tops of biscuits

Preheat oven to 450 and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.

In a large bowl combine flour, baking powder, salt and cheese and stir until ingredients are well mixed.  Cut in shortening using a hand pastry blender or a fork until the mixture resembles a coarse meal.  Add in half and half and stir until just combined. 

Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and pat until 1 1/2 inches thick.  Using a 2 inch floured cutter, cut out each biscuit and place it about 2 inches apart on prepared baking sheet.  Or you can scoop out the biscuits with a spoon or ice cream scoop.  Brush each biscuit with half and half (or heavy cream).  Sprinkle the top of each biscuit lightly with remaining cheese.  Bake for 15 minutes until biscuits are golden brown.

For the green onion bacon butter:
1 stick (1/2 cup) slightly softened unsalted butter
3 teaspoons sliced green onions
3 teaspoons of finely chopped bacon bits

Place all ingredients in a mini food processor and blend until well combined.  If you don't have a food processor use a knife to finely chop the green onions and bacon to desired size and stir into butter. 

19 comments:

  1. My son loves biscuits and is always looking for new ways to make them. He (and the rest of us) will for sure love these. The butter sounds divine!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the review this month! My kids are carboholics, so we rotate homemade biscuit recipes all the time! Glad your family enjoyed them as well and the spread you made sounds easy and delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These warm biscuits is only what I need for a happy meal...and with the onion bacon butter is definitely licking fingers. Mmmmm!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Who wouldn't want a cheese bomb biscuit?! They look fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whaaaat! OMG those look so delicious and I am so sad I can't eat one. I personally have issues with biscuit recipes and finding the one I really like. This will be one I will have to give a try. The spread looks divine as well (sans bacon for me). Excellent pick BF! This would be great a brunch item in my opinion. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. You had me at "Cheese Bomb" but then made me drool with that onion-bacon butter. Fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These biscuits look incredible! And that butter--oh.my.goodness. Wow...I'm drooling ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Onion bacon butter. Sign me up! Sounds like a fabulous pairing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. These look wonderful and the butter sounds amazing! I'm your newest follower! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. These look amazing! So tall and beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love how easy these biscuits are to make, and how tall yours are! Just lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Everything is better with Parmesan...you seriously had me at Cheese bomb.

    ReplyDelete
  13. WOW - these look incredible! I would seriously have a hard time eating just one. Glad to be part of SRC with you. Pinning NOW>

    ReplyDelete
  14. I guess it shows my age that "Fabio" does not bring to mind a chef, but a particular male model with long golden hair-lol. Seriously, when did I get old?! Maybe these biscuits will make me feel better. Definitely.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I was in for the biscuits...and then you added that butter. Now these can't be denied!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh my goodness, these look so fluffy, cheesy and delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Those biscuits are gorgeous - so tall and fluffy! And that green onion bacon butter is to die for! I would be smearing that on just about anything I could find :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow--what a delicious looking combo. I don't know what intrigued me more the biscuits or the butter. Guess I better make both! Great pick.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a great biscuit! I love the onion and the cheese.
    Great choice!

    ReplyDelete