Monday, April 23, 2012

The Last Brownie



Have you ever been on a quest to find the perfect ______?  Finding the ultimate version of a recipe is not easy.

I discovered that last year when I made an attempt to find the perfect chocolate chip cookie.  I learned two things from that exercise.  The first is to truly stack up one cookie against another, you really have to taste them side by side.  I found each time I would bake a new version, I would like it.  I made notes on what I liked about it, how the cookie held up after being stored for a day or three, the size, texture, flavors, etc.  But without tasting them side by side it was hard to compare and I realized I liked them all for different reasons.  The second thing I learned is the process of trying different recipes is really half the fun of the finding the best one.  I have yet to get sick of trying a new chocolate chip cookie recipe. 

Though I've made quite a few chocolate chip recipes, I've barely dipped my toe in the water on brownies.  Luckily for this month's Secret Recipe Club assignment I was assigned Cindy's blog, Everyday Insanity.  And Cindy has tested a lot of brownies.  In fact the tag line on her blog header is, "Tackling Life one Brownie Recipe at a Time!" 

Cindy and I have been in SRC together for quite a while now and she has become one of my blogging friends.  We frequently visit each other blogs and leave comments.  So I was excited when I was assigned her blog as I had already bookmarked several recipes I wanted to try.  Not surprisingly, they were all sweet recipes. 

In the end, I couldn't resist trying the recipe Cindy calls the "last brownie."  Meaning there is no need to try other recipes because this is the one.  Cindy says she's been on her journey to find the perfect brownie for about the last 35 years.  Though she deems this one to be perfect, I would bet this probably will not be the last brownie recipe she'll try. ;) 

The last brownie is my kind of brownie.  It's rich and chewy with a deep fudgy flavor.  That pretty much says it all.  I already have plans to make these again. 

I have to come clean though and tell you about a little tactical error that I made.  I did a trick my aunt does with brownies and sprinkled chocolate chips on top of the warm brownie right out of the oven.  The chips melt after a few minutes and then you spread them around to make a chocolate frosting of sorts.  But I realized after tasting these brownies that they didn't need a frosting.  In the photos on Cindy's blog you can see they have a bit of crackly top...which is just how I like them.  So I'm not sure what prompted me to add chocolate on top.  Next time, I'll leave them naked.  At least long enough to try one.  Then I might have to top it with some bright strawberry sauce (recipe also courtesy of Cindy) finished off with fresh whipped cream.

Check out the pretty sauce....


I decided to go big with these brownies, cutting them into 4 massive, 4 inch square, multiple fork, totally sharable, dressed up, brownies. 

And check it out after a bite...


After this little taste, I put the camera down and sat down to write the rest of this post while I dutifully had many more bites of this decadent dessert.  Unfortunately Hubs didn't want to help me out.  Mostly because he doesn't like chocolate or strawberries.  What?  He totally missed out!  This dessert is intense and is a bit much for one person. I ate half and put the other half in the fridge.  Guess what I'm having for breakfast?  Thanks for two great recipes Cindy!

Oh, and rest assured, this will not be my last brownie.  It's way too soon for my brownie journey to be over.

Enjoy!

The Last Brownie
slightly adapted from Everyday Insanity

1/2 cup butter (1 stick), cut into 1/2 inch pieces
8 ounces semi sweet chocolate, roughly chopped
1 1/4 cups sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 large eggs
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
3/4 cup of flour
1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans (optional) - I omitted

Preheat oven to 350 and grease 9x9 square pan with butter or cooking spray.  (I used an 8x8 pan and baked it for about 43 minutes)

Heat an inch of water in a small to medium sauce pan until simmering.  Place a medium heat proof mixing bowl (large enough to hold all the ingredients) over the simmering water and place the butter and chopped chocolate in the bowl.  Stir occasionally with a rubber spatula until the butter and chocolate are melted.  Remove the bowl from the heat and continue to stir for another minute to release heat.  Stir in sugar and salt.  Once batter is tepid or cool, add eggs and vanilla and stir to fully combine (don't add the eggs while the batter is hot or you'll end up with scrambled eggs).  Gently fold in the flour until it's just incorporated.  Be sure not to over mix.

Bake for 35-40 minutes or until brownie starts to pull away from the sides of the pan and a toothpick inserted has a few crumbs attached.  Cool in the pan.


Strawberry Sauce
adapted from Everyday Insanity

1 cup chopped strawberries (chopped in 1/4 inch to 1/2 pieces)
1/2 cup sugar (if your strawberries are very sweet you could cut sugar in half)
1 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
1 teaspoon lemon zest

Combine all ingredients and small saucepan and heat on medium high.  Bring to a rapid boil and stir for one minute at rapid boil.  Remove from heat and allow sauce to cool.


30 comments:

  1. That pretty much looks like the best dessert on the planet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. whoa...chocolate and strawberries...hand me a fork!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, thank you for such kind words. This really is an awesome brownie recipe, I can always count on it. But yes, I must confess that I have made many brownies since this recipe (thanks to TWD) and will continue to try new recipes often!
    I do love the idea of sprinkling chocolate chips on the hot brownies. More chocolate can't hurt. The strawberry sauce and cream makes this a perfect breakfast (it contains fruit and dairy). Can't wait to try it!
    Thanks again! I do love your blog and always enjoy your posts--keep up the great work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm one of the weird ones with your husband who doesn't like chocolate that much. I do, however, love strawberries. My poor husband tries to get me to make chocolate desserts more often and this one would be perfect since it's small!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can see why this is called the Last Brownie; this looks amazing! I want this now! Fabulous choice for SRC!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am totally always on the lookout for the BEST brownie. Still haven't come across it yet but these look really yummy. Love the photo's.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh a brownie breakfast! My kind of girl C:

    ReplyDelete
  8. Super recipe and that picture is almost wickid!!So glad to have found your blog - signed up to follow and looking forward to more!
    Mary x

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds and looks sooooo decadent!! I am drooling over your photos right now. :) Awesome choice for SRC!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh yes! I'm definitely making these! Got it pinned so I don't lose it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The brownies look fabulous...I am purist, I can't bring myself to mix chocolate and fruit. I would love the brownie sans the strawberries...I know, I am weird.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the "quest". Looks like next time I'm looking for a brownie recipe, I need to try yours. I'm pinning for later. I think I actually found the "last" poundcake recipe I ever need this SRC go round. It's seriously that good, much like this brownie. I need to go check out your choc chip cookie recipe now.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I had Cindy's blog last month and ALMOST made these brownies before ultimately going with her THE Chicken Salad! These look totally wonderful...I love fudgy brownies most of all!! Great to be in Group C with you...

    ReplyDelete
  14. You're not kidding when you say the sauce is pretty. And, combined with the brownie it looks irresistible!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am looking forward to trying this. I am always on a quest to find the best homemade brownie, so I will have to try this one too. It's only fair!
    Great pictures, and I love the sauce!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow...Gloria...what a great way to jazz up a brownie! This really looks like an elegant dessert. And besides your hubs, who doesn't love the combo of chocolate and strawberries! I would gladly have volunteered to help you finish off your plate! : )

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the simplicity of the recipe--this is one I'll have to try! It def looks crazy fudgy and the perfect brownie def has to have that crackly top. For shame you covered it up! ;) Beautiful photos.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Delicious! The addition of the strawberry sauce really puts these over the top :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I see why you choose this recipe, how could you resist something touted as "the last". Next time I'm making brownies this'll be the recipe I use.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh man.... I could eat that portion right now - will have to try it next time the menu calls for brownies!

    ReplyDelete
  21. it sounds to me like "Hubs" has some serious taste bud issues. you should get him help for that. there are trained professionals. I'm sure.

    happy src reveal from a group D member!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow, how can anyone turn these down? I love that last pic, send me a plate right now :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I had Cindy's blog for SRC a couple of month's ago and loved her catch phrase of "Tackling Life one Brownie Recipe at a Time!" These truly look like the perfect brownie.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I'm so with you on side by side comparisons - I really need to have everything to taste all at the same time to make meaningful comparisons. That brownie looks amazing, and the fact that you topped it with strawberries and whipped cream? Well, that's just about my perfect dessert - all we need is a big scoop of mint chocolate chip ice cream too :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. I am currently on the hunt for THE chocolate chips cookie recipe. I see a long and sweet way ahead of me :) But I would love to take a stop and try this brownie - with the toppings of course! Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Gloria, that looks absolutely delicious! I've never seen strawberries paired with a brownie before, but I don't know why because they look fabulous together, especially with that whipped cream on top. And it's a gorgeous photograph to boot! You are multi-talented!

    ReplyDelete
  27. OMG - a husband who doesn't like chocolate or strawberries. I don't know if that's good (more for me) or bad (I'd have to make other desserts and not get enough chocolate or strawberries). But I'm sure you're coping just fine! This recipe looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Gloria, these look truly amazing! Your photos are stunning and I can almost taste the rich, dark flavor of the brownies! We were going to make chocolate chip cookies tomorrow, but now I think we'll have to switch to these!
    I still cannot believe that your husband does not like chocolate nor strawberries! That's plain crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Real brownies don't need frosting. I'm so with you on the crackly top thingie. But strawberries as a topping looks like a winner. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete