Saturday, April 7, 2012

Red Velvet Whoopie Pies


I've been slacking a little on Club: Baked.  I have every intention of baking along every two weeks.  I find that my intentions don't always become reality, unfortunately.  I'm a week late in posting our last assignment.  Things have been busy around here.  Work is a little more crazy than usual at the moment.  We've been spending time with family and friends for the past few weekends.  I've been cooking and baking up a storm.  And of course I have to squeeze in time for my favorite shows on DVR.  The Real Housewives of Orange County stressing over their latest plastic surgery is my stress relief! 


I was excited to see Red Velvet Whoopie Pies come up on the Club: Baked Roster for April.  So even though I didn't make our scheduled post date, I still wanted to bake along.  Whoopie pies have been quite popular in the food blogging world and I wanted to see what all the hype was about.  To me, their appeal comes from the fact they are individual servings of a cookie meets cake sandwiched by frosting.  Who doesn't love frosting, cookies and cakes?  My Hubby.  But that's beside the point.  I love all these things.  Plus whoopie pies are cute.  Sounds like all the makings for a winning sweet treat, right? 


So here's the deal.  I want to like whoopie pies for all the reasons stated above.  But they just aren't my thing.  I find the texture is not as good as a cake or a cookie, for me.  It almost has a slightly dense and doughy texture.  I'm not a doughy kind of girl (I don't like dumplings, mochi or most biscuits).  I thought maybe I was doing something wrong with whoopie pies.  I've made whoopie pies twice now from 2 different recipes and ended up with a very similar texture result.   The first one I tried was a peanut butter whoopie pie with chocolate cream cheese frosting from the King Author flour website.  I made them but didn't post them here because I just didn't love them.  So why I am posting these?  I try to post everything from the baking groups I participate in...good, bad or ugly!  It's a great way to learn from other people's baking experiences as well.  Plus I think most people like whoopie pies, and I'm the outcast here.


If you are a whoopie pie, red velvet and cream cheese frosting fan, I think you would like this recipe.  The red velvet has nice flavor from the cocoa powder and I think I've already proclaimed my love for cream cheese frosting a number of times.  And this is no exception.  I used a medium size scoop and ended up with 17 whoopie pies.  The cream cheese recipe was more than enough to fill these.  If I were to make these again (which I won't, but I'm sharing in case you might), I would half the cream cheese recipe.  Nearly all of the other Club: Baked girls had really positive reviews, so this is just a texture preference thing for me.  To get the recipe head over to Andrea's blog, Nummy Kitchen.

Next up on the Club: Baked roster: Grasshopper Bars.  Looking forward to this one!

5 comments:

  1. You don't like whoopie pies?? I just don't know if we can be friends anymore. I kid, I kid :) They look fantastic, so if you need someone to help you eat them, I'm your girl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I know. It seems wrong. Maybe I'll have to come up with my own whoopie pie recipe that is more cakey. Should I ever have an excess of whoopie pies, I'll box them up and ship them to you. ;)

      Delete
  2. I have yet to make a whoopie pie. Seems like there is always something on the list that calls to me more. Maybe this is why--I don't love doughy things either. But, they are good looking!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Better late than never! Glad you were able to post these after all, they look delicious :)

    ReplyDelete