Monday, September 17, 2012

Fig Balsamic Jam

 
Secret Recipe Club has arrived for September.  A big smile spread across my face when I received my blog assignment for this month.  Authentic Suburban Gourmet is one of my favorite blogs to visit and has been a long standing regular in my Google Reader.  Lisa is the gourmande behind this inspiring blog and hails from the San Fransisco area.  Her recipes are bursting with fresh and simple ingredients.  They are elegant and gourmet, yet really approachable.    Authentic Suburban is one of those blogs you read and you immediately want to invite yourself over to Lisa's house to sample the gorgeous food that grace her posts.  I don't know Lisa personally, but I guarantee you she throws a kick butt dinner party. 

I'm pretty familiar with Lisa's blog, so I knew I would have a hard time choosing a recipe.  There are worse problems to have, right?  Her appetizers are always making me drool.  She does a crostini up like no one's business.  But ultimately I was drawn to her recipe for fig balsamic jam.  Lisa has a number of recipes that incorporate the jam, including a crostini.  Lucky for me I have 2 half pint jars to use up and I will be making her fig jam straws next.


I think you all know I'm a big fan of making jam and preserves.  It is up at the top of my list of favorite things to make. There is something completely satisfying about taking a pile of fresh seasonal fruit, combining it with a little a sugar and citrus and next thing you know you have jars of your fresh made fruit preserves lined up on your kitchen counter. And you if make a big enough batch, the process of canning and preserving isn't as hard as you might think.   Lisa also has a love for making her own jams and chutneys...including making up to 40 jars at once!  How do I get on Lisa's jam gift list???

The funny thing about being drawn to Lisa's fig jam recipe is I've never worked with or eaten figs.  I really don't count the one time I tasted a fig newton as a kid.  I immediately decided they weren't for me.  But now that I'm grown up, I've been wanting to give real figs a try.  I found a flat of beautiful mission figs at Costco and off I went. 

The jam was easy to make and I loved the result.  Figs on their own are fairly mild in flavor.  The balsamic vinegar really punches it up.  The end product was reminiscent of a lush raisin like flavor.  To make the crostini, Hubby and I visited the farmer's market this weekend and picked up a fresh baked baguette and locally made basil goat cheese.  The flavors went perfectly with the sweet and tangy jam.   After the fact, I thought adding a bit of crisp pancetta or bacon would be pretty outstanding.  Because everything is better with bacon.  Next time!

 
This jam is very versatile and I'm looking forward to more adventures with both fresh figs and this awesome jam.

Enjoy!

Fig Balsamic Jam
from Authentic Suburban Gourmet

1 pound of figs, stems removed and coarsely chopped
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
Fresh lemon juice (about a Tablespoon)

Combine figs, sugar and balsamic vinegar in a medium heavy bottomed sauce pan over medium high heat.  Bring to a simmer and reduce to medium low, maintaining a gentle simmer.  Continuing simmering until jam thickens (this took me about 15-20 minutes).  Stir in a tablespoon of lemon juice and taste the jam (be sure to cool your taste first).  Add more lemon juice if desired.  You can leave your jam chunky or use an immersion blender (stick blender) to puree until desired texture is achieved.  I prefer a smoother consistency so I pureed the jam.  

Store in a sealed container or jar in the refrigerator for up to a month.  Or use a canning method to process the jam.  This recipe yielded exactly 2 one half pint jars of jam.  However I did not process them as I plan to eat them asap.

27 comments:

  1. I adore fig jam! And love it with a bit of sharp cheese, like goat or blue. Gorgeous photos! Great SRC pick!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lisa does have great recipes, doesn't she?! You picked great and this looks fantastic! I'd so love to try this. Guess I'll have to add it to the list of things to make!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perfect timing Gloria! I just bookmarked a pizza recipe this morning that called for fig jam, and was wondering where I could find a recipe to make my own. This sounds amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am SO happy that you selected the Balsamic Fig Jam - one of my absolute favorite recipes! In fact, I did just make about 50 half pint jars a few weeks ago - great for gift giving and hostess gifts. Thank you for all of the kind words and it makes me just smile that you enjoy my blog. You did an amazing job with the jam and perfect on a crostini! I too enjoy your blog and if you are ever up in the Bay Area, ping me and we can grab a bite to eat. Glad to be part of the SRC group C with you!!!! (Great photos BTW) Smile.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yummy! I love figs and this jam looks amazing! Great SRC pick! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. We have a friend whose mom has a fig tree that is reaching the point of overload. I am expecting some figs this weekend and now I know what to make with them! Looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  7. great choice…as a bit of a fig nut…I'm making this. Lovely. Anything that hails from a tree AND SF is a winner in my book.

    x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh wow! This sounds amazing. I love that you served it on the baguette...I am also tickled that it makes a small amount! Great selection for SRC.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We just had some fresh figs Saturday morning, but this jam may be better than fresh! Is that possible?!?!?!

    ReplyDelete
  10. PS We made gingersnaps. Based on your blog title, we thought you might want to check them out lolol.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I had this blog once and I made her fig balsamic jam...absolutely DELICIOUS!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Adore fig jam and serving it with goat cheese is such a great contrast. I usually just slather mine all over my english muffin in the morning and before I know it, it's gone. One year, I actually managed to save some and make this appetizer, instead of canning them all.

    http://fromchapelhilltochickenville.blogspot.com/2010/08/sweet-fig-appetizer.html

    Love your photography!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gorgeous! I am so making this ASAP. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. So jealous you have access to fresh figs. Your jam sounds amazing! I love dried figs and some day, I WILL get fresh ones.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Absolutely wonderful jam! The balsamic sounds perfect, and I´m so mad about figs this is heaven!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a delicious jam!! I make one very similar but I'm going to try yours, too. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This sounds heavenly! What a great choice!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Fig newtons were the only cookie one of my grandparents kept. YUCK! But, how I wish I had a supply of fresh figs for this jam and appetizer. I do have a few baby figs on my potted fig tree and I can't wait to try them. (I'm not even sure when to pick them!)

    ReplyDelete
  19. please!! I'm dying to eat this!! SO perfect :))
    Mary x

    ReplyDelete
  20. A jar of fresh homemade is a yummy way of sharing a bit of yourself. Now figs...looks like I better find some and try a batch of jam. Good food.

    ReplyDelete
  21. oh yum...looks so temptingly delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi there,
    Just wanted to let you know that I made this jam this afternoon after finding a great deal on figs at Trader Joe's - SO GOOD! I'm totally in love, it turned out so delicious! Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sara, I know what you mean...it's pretty easy to fall in love with this jam. :) I'm so glad you tried it and liked it! I've already powered through one of my two fars and am already sad about the second jar disappearing. Guess I'll have to make more (assuming I can still find figs). :)

      Delete
  23. Just came across this. Love the simplicity of the recipe. I will be making it this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  24. My figs are fresh from the tree, so I have no idea how much they weigh. How many cups are a lb. chopped? Want this to turn out right

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love your gourmet recipes! Your superb cooking skills makes all those dishes seem easy to make. And I think the jam would be a hit if you ever decide to throw a party. Thanks for sharing!

    Faith Thomas @ The Berry Farm

    ReplyDelete
  26. This was an amazing recipe. Our neighbor gave us a lot of figs so I thought I'd make some jam. I found your recipe and the balsamic vinegar got my interest. My husband and I just loved how this turned out. I placed it in my blender and blended the fig jam. We liked the texture after it was blended. I gave some to friends because there was a lot for 2 people. I will definitely make this again. Thanks for sharing your recipe.

    ReplyDelete