Thursday, February 10, 2011

Cream-Filled Chocolate Sandwiches (Oreos)


You might not be able to tell from the photos, but these are homemade oreos....on steroids. They are 3 times the size of a standard oreo. When I saw these in Martha Stewart's Cookies cookbook, I thought they would be soft chewy cookies with cream filling. But they have a crunchy crumbly texture...with a delicious cream filling.


I didn't set out to make oreos, but it turned out to be a nice detour. This recipe calls for scooping out dough with a 1 1/4 inch cookie scoop then flattening out the cookies to 1/8 inch thick using the bottom of a glass dipped in sugar. This makes for a huge cookie. Next time I make these, I will roll the dough out and use cookie cutters.

After baking up a the first batch, I thought the cookies would look nice with a little extra sparkle so I dipped each flattened cookie in sugar before baking. They don't really look like oreos with the sugar coating, but they are still tasty. Messy (when they crumble), but tasty.

You can also dress these up with a little decoration by rolling the edges in colored sprinkles or candies. I rolled some in blue sanding sugar to give as a gift for a the parents of a new baby boy.


To get the recipe click here.

4 comments:

  1. Hmmm - these look super delish. And more inviting than the store-bought ones.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made homemade Oreos once a few years ago. Fun stuff. I think it's about time again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very sweet! I love how you wrapped them up for the new babys parents. I make home homemade oreos for special occasions! The recipe is 1 box devils cake mix, 2 eggs and 1/4 cup oil..and then the yummy creamcheese filling of CC and Powdered sugar! So simple but a fav. among my kids!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Homemade Oreos are so good! I've never tried this particular recipe though, so I'll have to add it to my list. Love your variation with the sanding sugar.

    ReplyDelete